MY LAST POST

MY LAST POST
Family photo taken outside Corpo Central on our last Sunday in Brazil.

Total Pageviews

Translate

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Preferential treatment

Last week I decided to take A. shopping with me. I was a bit concerned about whether he would slow me down and whether I would get back to the apartment in time to have lunch and take him to school at 13:30. I really didn't need to worry. In Brazil they have something called preferential treatment so if you are elderly, disabled, pregnant or have a small child with you, you will always be able to go to the front of the queue, sit down on the bus or train or be served at a special counter. So, as I walked into the Post Office I was very surprised to see that there was no-one else in the queue (very unusual!) but even better than that, as soon as I stood at the front of the queue I was called over to a special counter where I was served immediately. I really think I should take A. shopping with me more often!
So, because we had some extra time on our hands we were able to buy some birthday presents for Daddy and have a look at some televisions. Last year we bought a Brazilian TV in a Brazilian Makro and P. has enjoyed watching premiership football on it and I have enjoyed watching the occasional film. However, two weeks ago our apartment block was hit by lightning. I was at the Hall for a prayer meeting that had just ended and we heard an enormous bang - like a bomb going off. We have alot of tropical thunderstorms here, practically every day in the summer months, so I thought it was a particularly loud thunder clap. However, when I got back to the apartment I found that P. was in the bedroom as the light in the living room was no longer working. He told me that the apartment block had been hit by lightning and the other casualty had been our TV. Fortunately, we insured it with SAGIC and our policy covers lightning. Yesterday, the light fitting was repaired and today P. took the TV to a repair shop. This is life in Brazil - there is always something to be repaired or fitted or organised and because we are so new here it takes us a long time to find out where we need to go or what we have to do. It is a great adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment